- Try to avoid wandering down aisles that contain foods that may tempt you in your desire to eat healthy.
- Begin a shopping list by looking inside your fridge at the items you made use of, eliminate buying items that were allowed to spoil.
- Try using the store pickup option. It can relieve you of temptation. You will be able to order beforehand only the items you may need.
Parkinson’s disease affects about 1 million Americans. Doctors describe it as a neurodegenerative disease in which the brain neurons begin to die. However, advances are making progress in slowing down the progression of the disease. High Intensity Cardio exercise can slow the progression of the disease. Clinical trials in 2018 showed treadmill workouts 3 times a week along with strength and balance training slowed the rigidity caused by Parkinson’s. Personalized genetic testing has made it possible for physicians to target specific genes with medication. Microbial bacteria are also being considered since many patients have been found to have an overabundance of H. Pylori in the gut which can also be attributed to self-medication with over-the-counter probiotics. Biomarker detection is being studied as to the possible signs and markers of developing the disease. Although it is uncurable, these measures give hope that a patient’s life will not be totally devastated by the disease.
Natural toxins such as venom from spiders, snakes and scorpions hold the ability for the development of new drugs. Venomics is the study of the different proteins in venom which have led to separating different compounds and different drug discoveries. Previously it was believed that venom contained as little as 3 or 4 components, but now researchers have realized that they contain thousands. A drug from the deadly “Frazer Island Funnel Web Spider of Australia” can hinder cell death after a heart attack. Venom is a complex mix of proteins and can vary greatly in potency from jellyfish, insects, reptiles and even snails. Venom proteins have evolved to target a certain molecule in the body which is why they are so effective as a drug. Neurotoxins attack the nervous system, Hemotoxins attack the blood, and tissue toxins attack the area around the poisoned section. Venom from the Pit Viper is now used to treat High Blood Pressure. A drug derived from the venom of the Gila monster is used to treat diabetes. Ante coagulant drugs originated from vampire bats. Work is now being done in Israel with the Deathstalker scorpion to detect tumors. At the same time, because there are so many components to the makeup of venom, it is also difficult to find an antidote to a venomous bite. Opossums are responsible for the antidotes for bites from rattlesnakes since somehow, they can withstand being bitten several times and still survive. Just be careful who you decide to bring home as a pet.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 2 tsp sweet paprik
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 cup red lentils
- 6 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 3 vined ripened tomatoes chopped
- 16 oz. spinach chopped
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
For the Garlic Yogurt:
- 3 oz. natural Greek yogurt
- 2 small garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Heat oil in a large pan, then add, onion, carrots, garlic, chili flakes, some salt and pepper. Stir, cover, cook for 7-8 minutes until soft and lightly golden.
- Uncover pan, add cumin, paprika. Stir a few seconds, add puree. Add lentils and stock, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for garlic sauce, add salt and chill.
- Add diced tomatoes to soup and simmer for 5 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bunch up the spinach leaves and slice them thin (fine shreds). Stir into soup until wilted.
- Serve with yogurt sauce on top. Sprinkle paprika on top
- Serve with a lemon slice
Courtesy of Anarosa Nazario