Moldy Food…

moldy cheeseMold on certain foods can be safe to cut away and use the un-moldy portion. For example, hard cheeses are much safer than soft cheeses if mold appears. Soft cheeses make it easier for the mold to penetrate the food whereas in hard cheeses the mold is usually visible and can be cut away. With firm fruits and vegetables simply cut off about 1 inch below the moldy area and the rest of it is safe to eat. Foods such as jams or jellies as well as soft fruits, breads and yogurt should be discarded. When mold is allowed to penetrate it can in some cases become toxic.