Added Sugar Line…

The Food and Drug Administration has just made the announcement that it will be adding Sugar linea line Added Sugar to the nutrition content label of all products. Up to now only sugars that occurred naturally in food (ex. sugar found in milk products) were listed. This would mean two distinct categories, one for total sugar and one for added sugar. Under the new guideline many sugars that were hidden under names such as evaporated cane juice, rice syrup, treacle, mizuame etc. slipped by the consumer. This made it impossible to determine the exact amount of sugar you were actually consuming in an effort to maintain a healthy diet.

Floating Suncatchers…

sun catchersThese are also known as water-based solar panels. They are usually placed in reservoirs, water treatment ponds or any body of water that is not used for recreation. The benefits of these water based panels are that they can prevent water from evaporating and deter algae from growing.  The water also acts as a cooling agent for the solar panel. They are proving to generate up to 57% more energy than roof top panels. The panels are made of a non-corrosive material and are on a tracking system which allows them to move toward the direction of the most sunlight. Japan has been in the forefront of their use due to the unavailability of large areas of land for traditional solar panels. They are now becoming extremely popular in Australia and in the United States.

The More the (not so) Better…

Multitasking babyDoes juggling 3 oranges require as much brain power as multitasking? How many times have you attempted to eat breakfast while opening mail, answering a text, watching the morning news all while talking to your significant other?  Although so many of us are convinced that we are skilled at multitasking, studies are showing that it is actually bad for us. I myself am guilty of falling into the same misguided way of thinking and then turning around to find something is burning on the stove.  Ourmultitasking spiral brains are better equipped at managing one task at a time. That is, performing a particular task with total mindfulness. Jumping from one task to another is actually where the term “scatter brain” originated. When we jump from one task to another it requires another part of the brain to take over that particular action.  Which means that we are not multitasking but instead the brain is actually shutting down one task as it moves on to the next. In so doing we may take longer to perform a particular task which can increase our level of stress thereby increasing the levels of multitasking writingglucocorticoids (adrenaline, cortisol etc.) in our bodies. Research has shown that only 2% of people are capable of multitasking successfully. The other 98% are only lessening their productivity. Devoting ourselves to executing one particular task actually means you will do it efficiently and completely and in turn make it much more enjoyable.  A possible solution is called informal practice. That is, taking a simple task that we perform daily such as doing the dishes, brushing your teeth or even walking the dog, and giving your complete concentration to performing it. This can help you slow down and get into the zone which can prepare you to begin monotasking (paying attention).