Intense exercise, especially if it is going to last several hours, requires a sufficient amount of carbohydrates in order to supply you with ample energy. Since we don’t store glycogen (blood sugar) in the same ratio that the body stores fat, it needs to be restored quickly. Drinking chocolate milk after strenuous exercise is one of the best ways to do this. The sugar in milk (lactose), its potassium and its protein combined with the extra carbohydrates in low fat chocolate milk provide the body with an excellent ratio of carbohydrates to protein which stimulates recovery. This is extremely useful if you are going from one strenuous activity to another. Maybe there is a reason why kids prefer chocolate milk.
Sources: Fitness Magazine and Nutrition Action Newsletter
One of the highlights of the Gilboa summer karate camp was the afternoon spent swimming in the waterhole at the Mine Kill State Park. About one hundred and sixty members took part in the annual camp led by headmaster Mike Dealy.
– 50 Cherry Tomatoes halved (now in season, check out farmer’s market}
– 1 can of chick peas
– 1/4 Red Bermuda onion chopped very fine
– 10 large Basil leaves chopped
– 2 Tablespoons of Kelp (seaweed) Flakes- I prefer Maine Coast Sea Vegetables Brand
– 5 Medium size anchovies chopped in small pieces (Not in can but anchovies in a glass jar)
– 2 Table Spoons Olive Oil
– White balsamic vinegar to taste
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– Pepper to taste
– A very simple summer dish. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl serve with great bread or crackers.